All I can say is WOW, WOW WOW. I am writing this overwhelming endorsement 48 hours after having RLE in both eyes, pain-free with better than 20/20 vision. For those of you doing your research, I can absolutely confirm the RLE procedure is pain-free in Mr Samer Hamada’s miracle hands… THANK YOU SO MUCH…
A very friendly experience from beginning to end. The staff were great and the consultant Mr Hamada was excellent at easing any fears I had. Surgery was painless and quick, staff were very reassuring. Would certainly recommend this clinic to anyone who has cataracts and decides on RLE treatment.
Just had my lens surgery with Dr Hamada. I was very nervous on the day of surgery as I was having both my eyes done on the same day. But there was no need it went very smoothly and very happy with my new eyes.
Click here to ask any question you have or book a consultation.
London Cataract Centre brings you experts in ophthalmology and refractive care. This team have led to a #1 ranking across the UK on Trustpilot for Eye Care and as a Private Hospital. This is the team you can trust.
The word cataract comes from the Latin cataracta, meaning waterfall. It is a clouding or opacity of the normally transparent natural lens inside the eye.
The lens works together with the cornea at the front of the eye to focus light rays onto the retina as an image. The light-sensitive rod and cone receptors at the rear-most layer of the retina, convert light into electrical signals that are transferred back towards the brain. This brain interprets these signals to give us the images we see.
- Cataract surgery is one of the safest and most effective surgical procedures
- 400,000 cataract surgeries performed in the UK every year
- Vision loss cannot be corrected with glasses
- Most cataracts are associated with ageing
Everyone is at risk for glaucoma from babies to senior citizens. Older people are at a higher risk for glaucoma but babies can be born with glaucoma. With open-angle glaucoma, the most common form, there are virtually no symptoms. Usually, no pain is associated with increased eye pressure. Vision loss begins with peripheral or side vision. The best way to protect your sight from glaucoma is to get tested. If you have glaucoma, treatment can begin immediately.
- Glaucoma accounts for 9-12% of all cases of blindness
- Glaucoma is the second leading cause of blindness in the world
- High-risk groups include people age 60+, having a family history, diabetics, and severely short-sighted people
- Treatment involves either a laser procedure, using drops or making a drainage channel to reduce the intraocular pressure
Refractive lens exchange (RLE, clear lens exchange) can be a superior choice compared to laser eye surgery for many patients, especially those already needing glasses for reading (presbyopia) or who are significantly long-sighted (hyperopia).
Refractive lens exchange is also known as refractive lens surgery, lens replacement surgery or clear lens exchange (CLE). It is usually performed in those aged 45-50 years of age and older.
- 2 different types of artificial lens are used for RLE: monofocal and multifocal
- No need to have cataracts diagnosed
- The lens removed is often clear but reading vision has been lost
- Lens replacement surgery is performed using local anaesthetic, so no pain during the procedure
- Most people return to work around 3 days after having RLE surgery
An ICL is an implantable lens that works together with your natural eye to correct your vision. ICL creates options for a very wide range of prescriptions that can free you from glasses and contacts, even extreme short-sightedness. ICL is often preferred for higher prescriptions over LASIK or PRK laser eye surgery.
- ICL does not induce dry eye syndrome
- Most patients are between 21 and 60 years old
- A highly effective alternative to laser eye surgery
- ICL is a removable lens implant
- Protective against harmful UV Rays
- Suitable for glasses power ranging from -0.5 D to -20.0 D